Wednesday, May 13, 2009

OCA Sewing Tip #6: Presser Foot Trick


Back in October of 2008 I had this to say about using a proper pressure foot:
When sewing with oilcloth it is important to have the right presser foot. Oilcloth has tendency to crawl and to not want to stay put, this results in puckers at every pin. Using a roller foot or a teflon foot will help remedy this. When you use one of these handy presser feet you take some of the friction away and have less puckers in your seams.
These pressure feet can be costly, and I could see why someone might be worried about the cost if this was their first oilcloth project. So, the other day I was thrilled to get the following tip from another Oilcloth Addict!

One of our readers had recently read on a sewing forum that you could use painters tape on the bottom of a regular pressure foot. This really works! I don't have a proper foot for my industrial, so there are just some projects I can't do on that machine, for example, topstitching.


I didn't have any painters tape, so I used plain old masking tape! Place the tape on bottom of your favorite pressure foot and then just cut it away using a sharp exacto knife. Now your good to go.


Thanks so much for that no cost solution! If you have a good tip, please contact me at Kelly@modernjune.com.

BTW, I am still working on this weeks tutorial, I made something really fun but when I was done with it I came up with a better way to do it! So back to the back yard drawing board!!! Intrigued yet?

5 comments:

Anne said...

Brilliant!! I posted a link to your tip on Craft Gossip Sewing blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/use-masking-tape-to-reduce-friction-on-your-presser-foot/2009/05/16/
--Anne
ps - Can't wait to see your new tutorial!

Unknown said...

That's great! I have so much trouble working w/ oil cloth on humid or rainy days (when I want to be inside sewing) so I'll have to try this!

Dawn Ludwig said...

I have had success with rubbing oil on the top of the oilcloth, then it glides through.
My problem is the bobbin thread is not tight. I have tried adjusting tension, width and length, but cannot find the right combination. Can someone advise me on what they use? I have advised to use width 5.0, length 4.0, and tension 4.0, but this does not work on my babylock machine.
---Dawn

Kelly McCants said...

Hi Dawn,

Hm, this is a tough one! I have had a lot of problems but not this one!

There is a tiny screw on the bobbin case that might be your problem. I would only turn it a fraction at a time give it a try and then if it isn't working try again.

Let us know if that works for you. I will be thinking about this and write you again if I think of another solution for you.

many thanks for reading and chatting!

Kelly
Oilcloth Addict

Elegantpaws said...

Hi, I love oilcloth annd sewing with clear vinyl so I can't wait to try this trick. thanks heaps!